- Aging Stats – Federal Interagency Forum on Aging Related Statistics
- American Fact Finder – Information from the Census Bureau concerning population, housing, economic, and geographic data
- Bureau of Justice Statistics
- United States Census Bureau – Statistical information that covers social, demographic, and economic interests.
- FedStats – Federal agency-produced stats. Search by keyword or browse the alphabetical listing.
- KidsCount – Tracks the well-being of children over time and across states in order to provide high-quality, unbiased information and encourage action on behalf of kids and families.
- StateMaster – United States stats with analysis
- The State of the Cities – from the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
- Wolfram Alpha – Definitive answers to factual queries.
Almanacs & Maps
- How Stuff Works
- InfoPlease – Information Please Almanacs, the Random House Webster’s College Dictionary, and the Columbia Encyclopedia searchable simultaneously. The ultimate fact finder on the WWW.
- CIA World Fact Book – Global almanac data.
Maps on the Web – Maps & Driving Directions:
- Google Maps
- Map Quest
- MSN Maps
- National Geographic Maps
- Perry-Castñeda Library Map Collection – More than 25,000 maps, including an Historical Map Collection
- Rand McNally Maps & Driving Directions
- Yahoo! Maps
Calculators & Converters
- US Postal Rate Calculator
- Zip Code Directory
- Universal Currency Counter
- ConvertMe – Nearly every conversion imaginable.
General Dictionaries Online
Find a definition using Google. Type: definition: child abuse (for example) and find definitions from several points of view, like how it is defined legally, in social work, in psychology, in medicine. If you type the phrase without the word “definition” in front, you will also get a definition, but the results might be a little different. Try both!
- Merriam-Webster Online
- Dictionary.com – Millions of word definitions, synonyms, spelling, audio pronunciations, example sentences, and translations from Dictionary.com, Thesaurus.com, and Reference.com and through its mobile iPhone, BlackBerry, and Android apps.
- One Look Dictionaries – Hundreds of dictionaries that are searchable. There are general listings and special subject listings (business, computer, medical, religion, science, technological.)
- Your Dictionary.com – Language portal with more than 2,500 dictionaries and grammars in over 300 languages
General Encyclopedias Online
- Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia – General encyclopedia containing over 25,000 information segments over a variety of subjects.
- ArtCyclopedia – An index of online museums and image archives: find where the works of over 8000 different fine artists can be viewed online.
- Webopedia – Online Tech Dictionary for Students, Educators and IT Professionals
News & Historical Images